About the Center
The history of the Beatrice Wood Center for the Arts is largely the story of Happy Valley. When Annie Besant, a supporter of progressive movements, from female suffrage to Indian independence, first saw the land which is now called Happy Valley, she envisioned that it would be a center for people who would usher in a new world. Besant’s vision contributed to Ojai’s development during the 20th century as a spiritual center and art community.
Beatrice Wood moved to Ojai in 1947 and was an important part of its fledgling art community. Today, Ojai enjoys its reputation as an art center, with many talented artists residing there.
The Beatrice Wood Center for the Arts fulfills much of Annie Besant's original vision, as a place where arts and education are paramount. It is closely affiliated to the Besant Hill School (formerly the Happy Valley School) that will benefit from and contribute to its activities.
Aside from a regular exhibition schedule, there are artist workshops and performances. The Beatrice Wood Center for the Arts presents a continuum joining the artists, writers and others who shaped Happy Valley and the Happy Valley School (now called the Besant Hill School) and those who are working today, as well as a bridge between the International Art World and the local community.
Beatrice Wood is both the heart and inspiration for the Center. To read her biography, click here.
The Beatrice Wood Center for the Arts is Open to the Public
Fri, Sat, & Sun 11:00 am - 5:00 pm.
8560 Nordhoff Road, Ojai, CA 93023
Annie Besant, 1927
and Rosalind Rajagopal, 1940
and Rosalind Rajagopal, 1982